Tuesday, September 06, 2005

back from Labor Day

We celebrated our anniversary and Labor Day by going down to a resort a couple of hours away; and we really were away. No radio or tv reception, and the cell phone doesn't work there. We had beautiful weather for sitting around the pool, taking walks, and the wild party thrown by the RVers in the "ghetto" part of the park on Sunday. But the conversation around the pool was about Katrina and the slow response by the government to the disaster -- and, because of the number of RVers, about the cost of gasoline. I'd assumed that most of the other campers were more to the right than I am, but I guess not. One of our friends, with whom we've never talked politics, said, "You know, even if a person was really conservative, this situation might make him rethink his position," so maybe there is hope.
We got back to find that it hadn't all gone away, that the disaster is even worse than it seemed when we left. What a mess.
Just before I left I checked Afghans for Afghans, and found out that they only want things made of pure wool, which I think is ridiculous. They say that acrylic isn't as warm and doesn't wear as well. They don't know cheap acrylic. Grandma died almost fifteen years ago, and her afghans, rough and scratchy, and with a smell almost like gasoline, go on forever; but maybe that's what they mean. I've made a baby afghan and a baby sweater which will now go to another charity.
The green baby sweater in two shades of green is going to be cute. Jerry suggested a matching hat with Kermit eyes, and I think I have enough yarn....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home