Sunday, January 08, 2006

Crafters Choice-- I did it again

Joined a book ordering club. I've done it a couple of times in the past with cookbooks, most famously just before I moved to Somalia in the 60's. I forgot to cancel the membership before I left (I left on about 2 weeks' notice, during which time I had to get tickets and passports, pack everything, take finals and get my master's, oh, yes, and break up with a boyfriend). So I kept getting books and bills for the entire time I was in Mogadishu. During that time the 1967 war broke out, and as far as I can figure one of my cookbooks was in a ship that sank in the Suez Canal. I refused to pay, since I hadn't gotten the book, and the company eventually stopped billing me. It's probably still on my credit rating.
Anyhow, with no plans to live elsewhere and a very good deal on books I wanted, I joined Crafters Choice, and for my freebies I got Loop-d-Loop (despite my hints I didn't get it for Christmas), For the Love of Knitting, Homemade, and Learn Faster, Remember More. The socks book wasn't available, so I substituted a Debbie Bliss book which hasn't arrived yet. I paid about $30 in S&H for well over $100 worth of books which I wanted. Now all I have to do is keep track and buy two more books this year. No problem.
Loop-d-Loop has some great patterns and great ideas. I made the shrug for Cinda, and while it was one of the more boring things to do, it came out well. The lace leaf sweater, the ballet T shirt -- my only problem is that if the largest size is for a 29" chest I'm going to need to learn to adjust sizes. Is anyone 29"?
Love of Knitting is a great inspiration book, though after reading it I think I will donate it to the tiny town library down the hill. The library was donated in the 19th century by the Frost family, so it is called the Frost Free Library. I want to reread the book, but not that often.
Homemade has some interesting gifts to give people. I do cake-in-a-jar every year for the cookie exchange, but this has some other possibilities, too.
And I'll report on the last when I find it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home