Thursday, February 23, 2006

Getting ready for the cruise

The hat on the left (above) is the one I made with the sari silk I got thanks to my first Secret Pal. However, it never quite worked.
Since we're heading out on a cruise to the Caribbean on Saturday (yay!), I needed a sun hat. What I've done in the past is buy a cheap straw hat on vacation and then either try to bring it back on the plane, squishing it in the process, or leave it behind, wondering if it was really worth it to spend money on a hat that I discarded so soon. I decided that what I really need is a cloth hat that will pack but that will keep the sun off me.
Thus the variation. I widened the brim, which took several tries because it kept curling (the solution is to do sc, sc, sc, 2sc in space, repeat; every third round). Then came the problem of how to stiffen it. After considering starch and boning, I finally went to the cloth store and found some iron-on stiff interfacing and some cotton cloth in the color of the brim. And it worked.
And, by the way, note that the hat and my new hand-made socks are the same color. Now all I need is something to wear between them.

1 Comments:

At 3:52 AM, Blogger Sweet Camden Lass said...

Oh wow! I love the second version, definitely more you.

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home